- Intercultural Studies
- Legal Practice and Procedures
- Community Arts Practice
- Social Studies
- Political Studies
- Conflict Resolution
- Work Experience
- Patient and Manual Handling
- Occupational First Aid
- MAPA© Management of Actual and Potential Aggression
- Youth Worker
- Care Assistant
- Support Work
- Disability Care
- Nursing Home Care
- Residential Care
The course introduces students to the broad area of social care. It is a foundation/springboard into social care work and social worker progression courses or can lead directly into the workplace.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate/Leaving Certificate Applied or equivalent.
- Successful completion of interview.
- Applications from mature students will be considered.
- Applicants will be required to undertake Garda vetting.
- Written references.
- QQI Level 5 – Applied Social Studies (5M2181)
The full QQI Level 5 Certificate facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third-level institutions nationwide. Further details are available from the relevant institutions. Progression to the Advanced Certificate in Social Care (6M2218) in WCFE is also possible.
- Specific progression links are available with WIT and IT Carlow for this course. See: Progression Information here.
Apart for the costs listed under the above link – you will need to budget for Hepatitis B injections (via GP or Medical Centre).
Please Note: Every effort is made to have these costs as accurate as possible, however, please be aware that some of these costings are supplied by external agencies & external exam bodies and there is a potential for those to change unexpectedly. If changes occur they will be communicated to learners as soon as possible.
Work experience placement in a related vocational area is an integral part of this course. Students must obtain one day per week work experience for the academic year. The day will be specified by the College. There will also be one week of block placement in the first and second terms.
N.B. Due to ongoing developments in QQI awards, names and content are subject to change.