- Sport and Recreation Studies
- Exercise and Fitness
- Health Related Fitness
- Leisure Facility Operations
- Leisure Facility Administration
- Work Experience
- Sports Coach/Leader
- Fitness Instructor
- Physical Trainer (Team Sports)
- Gym Instructor
- Leisure Attendant
A full-time course specialising in Sport and Sports Coaching. It aims to:
- Introduce students to Sport Studies.
- Provide a practical and theoretical foundation to fitness training.
- Enable students to acquire National Governing Body (NGB) Coaching qualifications in a number of sports.
- Provide a foundation for students wishing to study Sports and Recreation at a higher level.
- Adventure Sports
- Gaelic Football
- Swimming and Life Saving
- Cardio Tennis
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate/Leaving Certificate Applied or equivalent.
- Successful completion of interview.
- Applicants will be required to provide Garda clearance.
- QQI Level 5 – Sport, Recreation and Exercise (5N5148)
- Irish Water Safety (IWS) National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
- First Aid
- National Governing Body (NGB) Coaching Awards at appropriate level Speed, Agility and Quickness (S.A.Q.) Foundation/Level 1
- The full QQI Level 5 Certificate facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third-level institutions nationwide. Further details are available from the relevant institutions.
- Specific progression links are available with WIT and IT Carlow for this course (see page 47 of brochure).
- The full QQI Level 5 certificate facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to the Sports Therapy and Injury Management course in WCFE. This course offers QQI Level 6 Sports and Recreation and ITEC Sports Therapy qualifications.
Work experience placement is an integral part of this course. Students must arrange one day per week work experience for the academic year. The day will be specified by the College.
- There are no tuition fees, however a non-refundable fee of €360 to cover costs of First Aid and NGB Certification must be paid prior to commencing the course. Some additional costs for books and materials should be anticipated.
N.B. Due to ongoing developments in QQI awards, names and content are subject to change.