- Swimming / Life Saving QQI modules
- Sport and Recreation Studies
- Exercise and Fitness
- Health Related Fitness
- Work Experience
- Leisure Facility Operations
- Occupational First Aid
- Gym Instructor
- Fitness Instructor
- Physical Trainer (Team Sports)
- Personal Trainer
- Leisure Attendant
An intensive full-time course which prepares students for a career in the fitness industry. It is an ideal foundation for students wishing to enter the industry directly or for students wishing to study Fitness and Health Courses at higher level. The Certificate in Exercise and Health Fitness (NCEF), accredited by the University of Limerick, is a core qualification of this course.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate/Leaving Certificate Applied or equivalent.
- Successful completion of interview.
- Applicants will be required to provide Garda clearance.
- QQI Level 5 – Sport and Recreation (5M5146)
- Certificate in Exercise and Health Fitness (formerly NCEF Level 1)
- Irish Water Safety (IWS) National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
- Occupational First Aid
- Speed, Agility and Quickness (S.A.Q.) Foundation/Level 1
Work experience placement is an integral part of this course. Students must arrange one day per week work experience for the academic year. The day will be specified by the College.
- There are no tuition fees. However, a non-refundable capitation fee of €795, payable to NCEF, must be paid prior to commencing the course. Additional costs for textbooks, certification etc., should be anticipated.
- The full QQI Level 5 Certificate facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third-level institutions nationwide.
Further details are available from the relevant institutions.
- Specific progression links are available with WIT for this course (see page 47 of brochure).
- The full QQI Level 5 certificate facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to the Sports Therapy and Injury Management course in WCFE. This course offers QQI Level 6 Sports and Recreation and ITEC Sports Therapy qualifications.
Certificate in Exercise & Health Fitness
- Introduction to Human Movement Studies (Kinesiology)
- Lifestyle, Fitness & Wellness
- Health Related Physical Fitness (HRPF) Assessment and Programme Design
- Exercise & Health Fitness Management & Work Placement
- Occupational First Aid for Exercise & Physical Activity
- Applied Exercise & Health Fitness 1: (Exercise to Music)
- Applied Exercise & Health Fitness 2: (Resistance Training)
- Applied Exercise & Health Fitness 3: (Circuit Training & Body Conditioning)
- Applied Exercise & Health Fitness 4: (Step Training & Flexibility)
N.B. Due to ongoing developments in QQI awards, names and content are subject to change.