- Person-Centred Planning
- Rehabilitation Practice
- Health Promotion
- Disability Awareness
- Team Leadership
- Work Experience
- Mental Health Awareness
- Occupational First Aid
- Work Practice
- Patient & Manual Handling
- MAPA© Management of Actual and Potential Aggression
- Residential Childcare
- Youth Service
- Community Child Protection
- Family Support
- Prison System
- Disability Care
- Community Development
This full time course will be of benefit to those who have a particular interest in the professional aspects of social care. The course is designed for students who have already qualified in Level 5 in Social Studies, Special Needs or a course in a similar field. It will suit those who have a good knowledge of social care, seeking to progress in their professional development.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 5 certification in related areas or equivalent, with at least 4 modules passed at merit level.
- Successful completion of interview.
- Written reference.
- Applicants will be required to undergo Garda vetting.
Students will be required to undergo Garda vetting procedures. Garda vetting forms will be distributed as part of the registration
- The full QQI Level 6 award facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third level institutions nationwide. Successful
completion of the course may facilitate exemption from the first year of specific degree courses. Further details are available
from the relevant institutions and/or from www.qqi.ie.
- Specific progression links are available with WIT and IT Carlow for this course (see page 47 of brochure).
Work placement in a relevant environment is an essential part of this course. Students must obtain one day per week work experience for the academic year. The day will be specified by the college. There will also be a two week block placement in the first term and one week in the second term.
- There are no college tuition fees. However, costs may be anticipated for:
- Occupational first aid (approx. €90)
- MAPA© (approx. €25)
- Text books (approx. €150)
- Hepatitis B injections (via GP or Medical Centre)
- Patient and Manual Handling (€45)
- QQI Level 6 – Social and Vocational Integration (6M2218)
N.B. Due to ongoing developments in QQI awards, names and content are subject to change.