The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the range of medical terminology applicable and relevant specifically to a medical receptionist or secretarial role in a medical practice, clinic and or hospital context.
- Examine a range of medical terminology required by a medical receptionist or secretary within a general medical practice and or specialist medical practice context
- Explore current relevant legislation regarding Health Services in Ireland
- Describe the sources of information available to the medical receptionist or secretary
- Examine the importance of using correct medical terminology in communicating with patients and medical practitioners
- Apply medical pronunciation and spelling correctly
- Define medical abbreviations used in medical investigations and diagnosis
- Define medical terminology associated with the medical specialties carried out in a large general hospital
- Define medical terms used in medical reports and summaries
- Use correct medical terminology in a wide range of specialties; when dealing with both patients and medical practitioners
- Assemble and prepare X-ray reports
- Prepare final medical reports; ensuring the use of appropriate terminology, language and format.
1st October 2018 – 4th February 2019
Monday evenings 6.30pm – 9.30pm