This module aims to provide the learner with a comprehensive understanding of Child Psychology while analysing different theoretical models in terms of understanding child and adolescent development. The course will aid in the appreciation of factors that impact on the child’s psychological development while contributing to the value of scientific research in the field of child psychology.
QQI Level 6 6N2023
- Research theories of developmental change and continuity in infancy, childhood and adolescence.
- Evaluate a range of factors influencing and impacting on the psychological development of the child
- Appraise different theoretical models of child and adolescent development
- Assess the importance of transitions in influencing a sense of self
- Analyse different scientific methods and their application in relation to child behaviour and child development
- Critically evaluate how the role of social, biological, cultural and historical perspectives affect the development of children and adolescents
- Explore the development of gender consciousness and its impact on self-identity in children and young people
- Use empirical research in acquiring knowledge and informing best practice and constructing scientific knowledge in a specific child development, education and or care context.
- Analyse the implications of own attitudes, values, beliefs and assumptions in relation to issues of relevant policies and best practice.
- Identify personal learning goals and assist others in identifying learning and personal development goals
2 nd Oct 2019 – 12 th Feb 2020
Wednesday evenings 6.30 pm – 9.30 pm
QQI Level 6 Component Specification
€400 includes examination fee.